The contributions from our volunteers work team are invaluable to the success of The Samaritan Inn. Our volunteers are an integral part of the work team and perform a wide range of diverse services.
Our most valuable asses is our volunteers! We’d love for you to join us as a volunteer! learn more.
Your church, clinic group, or corporation can strengthen ties within your group as you help people experiencing homelessness. Check out the variety of projects we have available. learn more.
Volunteer as a family for a project that expresses your values and commitment to saving those in need. learn more.
VOLUNTEERING AT THE SAMARITAN INN
If you are interested in volunteering at The Samaritan Inn please call or text the Volunteer Hotline at (214) 449-4433 or email: email@example.com.
All volunteers attend an informational session at the Inn where they learn more about available volunteer opportunities. A tour of the Inn is included, along with an explanation of our services and needs. Volunteer information sessions are held at the shelter location.
Volunteer Information Sessions
You will be invited to attend an information session at the Inn where you will learn more about the opportunities available. Included in the session is a tour of the Inn and an explanation of our services and needs. Volunteer Information Meetings are held in The Samaritan Inn board room. Upon completion of an Information Meeting, you are given an opportunity to complete the volunteer application and receive in interview to discuss your assignment request. A background check will be completed prior to your acceptance.
Current Volunteer Projects
· Sprinkler repair
o Trim hedges
o Pull weeds
o Donate/plant sod
o Donate/install edging and wood chips
· Kennel maintenance
· Canned good sorting
· Tune piano
· Fix/install thresholds
Current Volunteer Positions
There are many ways you can volunteer your time to assist with the programs and operations of the Inn. Some of the ways you can help are listed below.
· Donations program – help coordinate an off campus donation or collections drive. Paper goods, household cleaners, non-perishable & perishable food items, over the counter medications, hygiene products, are just a few of the day to day items we regularly need. You can serve as a one-time donor or point of contact for an organization willing to receive your monthly needs list.
· Administrative Staff Support – help with administrative tasks and projects. Current needs are for front office hosts for 2 – 4 hour shifts, 7 days a week between 9 am and 9 pm.
· Childcare workers – help supervise children while their parents attend counseling and life skills classes. Monday – Thursday, 7 pm – 9 pm.
· Inn Style Resale Store – help us sort, organize, price and provide customer service in our resale store. Monday – Saturday, 9:15 am – 4 pm. This is ideal for small groups who want to serve together. Court ordered service hours can be served at this location if shifts are available.
· Computer Monitor – help answer resident’s basic questions on Word or printing in our computer lab. This room allows residents computer access to prepare resumes, search for jobs online, and hone their computer skills. Four hour shifts are preferred throughout the day, evening and on weekends.
· Maintenance Assistance – Our facilities department includes both maintenance and food services and has just two employees. Imagine how backed up the “to do” list can get! From fixing plugged sinks to hanging closet rods, this is a varied job with lots to do. This department also maintains the Gateway apartments and landscape. Any handyman skills can be put to work!
· Special Events – one of our big sources of funding is organizations that recognize the work of the Inn and take on the effort to put an event together that benefits the Inn. If you have a group, club or organization that is interested in supporting the Inn, why not consider putting together an event? If you have a talent for marketing or solicitations, or just like to meet and visit with new people, you are perfect for one of our fundraising committees or day of the event volunteers.
Upcoming Volunteer Info Sessions
Thursday, October 9 at 7:00 pm
Thursday, October 23 at 7:00 am
Saturday, November 1 at 10:30 am
My volunteer experience has been entirely positive. The staff and fellow volunteers are fun to work with. The social climate is warm and caring. Also a great place to find a bargain.Dave